Last Updated: November 11, 2019
1. Information Collected
“Personal information” is any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with an individual. We collect the following personal information from and about you:
- Mailing Address
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Location Information, such as your city and/or state
- Billing and payment information
- Online identifiers, such as IP address
- Usage information, such as how you and your device interact with our site
- Essential – Some cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Sites and use their features. Without these, we cannot enable appropriate content based on the type of device you are using.
- Browsing and Functionality – These cookies remember choices you make on the Sites, such as your preferred language, and are used to provide enhanced and more personalized features.
- Analytics – These cookies track how you use our Sites in order to improve their performance and develop the Sites according to your preferences.
- Advertising – These cookies compile information on our users’ interactions with our Sites. We use this information to serve ads on and off our Sites.
3. Use of Information Collected
We use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To provide our Sites
- To process donations
- To send you marketing communications
- To respond to your requests and inquiries
- To prevent fraud or other harm and provide technical services
- To improve user experiences by making our Sites easier to use and navigate
- For any specific purpose for which we request your permission
- For other leitimate business purposes
4. Sharing and Disclosure of Information
We may share or disclose your information to the following categories of third parties and for the following reasons:
- We disclose your personal information with third party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Sites and provide other administrative services to us (i.e., third party payment processors).
- We may share your personal information in the course of any direct or indirect reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
- We may disclose your personal information to law enforcement, government agencies, and other related third parties, in order to comply with the law, enforce our policies, or protect our or others’ rights, property or safety.
5. Collection of Information from Children
Our Sites are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children. In the event that we learn that a person under the age of 13 has provided personal information to us, we will delete such personal information as soon as possible.
We provide you the opportunity to opt-out of our marketing communications by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in such communications or by contacting us using the contact information provided below. We will process your request as soon as possible in accordance with applicable law, but please be aware that in some circumstances you may receive a few more messages until your unsubscribe is processed.
Additionally, we may send you information regarding our Sites, such as information about changes to our policies and other notices and disclosures required by law. Generally, users cannot opt out of these communications, but they will be primarily information in nature, rather than promotional.
7. Third-Party Websites
Our Sites may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites. If you have any questions about how these other websites use your information, you should review their policies and contact them directly.
We implement reasonable security measures to ensure the security of your personal information. Please understand, however, that no data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk. If we learn of a security systems breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Sites or providing personal information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the Sites. We may post a notice via our Sites if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
9. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits visitors to the Sites who are California residents to request certain information, once a year, regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send us an email using the contact information provided below and put “Shine the Light Request” in the subject line of your email.
10. How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
At this time, our Sites do not recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “Do Not Track” instructions.
Making Herstory Project